HOW DO I ADVOCATE FOR A CHARITY +
ADVOCATING FOR AN ORGANIZATION IN A SHORT AMOUNT OF TIME TAKES SOME PREPARATION… FOLLOWING ARE THE GUIDELINES AND SOME TALKING POINTS YOU WILL WANT TO INCORPORATE IN YOUR 5-MINUTE SPEECH.
Only current members of 100+ Women Who Care are allowed to nominate a Charity.
At the quarterly meeting, fill out a nomination ballot with your name, the name of the Charity you wish to nominate, and their tax ID number. Place your ballot in the basket. IMPORTANT:You may only write your own name on the nomination card – you may not nominate someone else to speak. Multiple people can nominate a single organization, duplicate speaker nomination ballots will be removed from the basket.
Each speaker has 5-minutes to make the case for their chosen organization; followed by a 5-minute question-and-answer period. No one else in attendance may answer the questions for you – it is OK to say you don’t know the answer to a question. If your ballot is pulled and your name is called, be ready! Please take note of the following talking points:
- Start with a gripping opening line; ”100+ women in our community are involved in a domestic violence dispute every month…” to make the plea personal from the start.
- State your name and the name and location of the organization you would like to receive funding. Share what your relationship to the charity is i.e. board member, Executive Director, volunteer or other.
- What is the mission of the organization?
- What purpose does this charitable cause serve? (who they are, what do they do, how do they do it)
- Describe the program that you would like to be funded. Provide some background information for program.
- Share what the annual budget is and briefly identify their major revenue streams. How are they funded? How long has the organization been an established 501(c)(3)?
- Who will it impact? How many will it impact?
- How essential is this program – what will our community be missing if this program does not get funded?
- How will the success of this program be measured?
- Does this charity guarantee that 100% of the donated funds from 100+ Women Who Care, Lake County, Ohio, will be used towards the intended stated usage?
- Identify if any of the contributions will go towards administrative costs and/or capital expenses and if so, what that includes.
- How do people find out about the organization? How does it market their service?
- End with a heartfelt request and a thank you.